Homemade chicken pot pie from scratch; a real comfort food for the cold weather and a great use of leftover chicken or turkey. It’s even better when using stock made from a smoked turkey (or chicken). Here is the recipe I’ve been using recently:
Thyme Pastry Crust:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter
5 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Pot Pie Filling:
1-2 chicken breasts depending on size (goal is 2 cups worth)
3 celery stalks
3 medium carrots
1 large yellow onion
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 cups homemade chicken or turkey stock (smoked poultry stock is an even better option. Here is a link to making your own smoked turkey stock: https://youtu.be/-CN1J7GalKg)
1 teaspoon chicken base (paste)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or more to taste
Pastry Crust Directions:
1) Combine flour, butter, thyme, and salt in stand mixer bowl.
2) Use paddle attachment on low to mix until pebbly looking (a couple minutes).
3) Beat egg with fork and add to mixture with cold water and vinegar.
4) Mix until just combined.
5) Divide in half.
6) Form into rounds and flatten each a bit.
7) Separately wrap in plastic or place in sealed plastic bag.
8) Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
1) Boil breasts in water for 20-25 minutes or until cooked. Shred.
2) Take out pastry dough from freezer to thaw a bit (but not too much).
3) Dice the carrot, celery, and onion.
4) Melt butter in pot over medium heat.
5) Add diced vegetables. Saute until translucent.
6) Add the shredded chicken.
7) Add flour. Mix.
8) Add chicken stock and chicken base. Stir in.
9) Add peas.
10) Add cream.
11) Stir and let cook over low heat allowing it to thicken for a few minutes.
12) Season with thyme and more salt and pepper if desired.
1) Roll out one piece of the dough slighly larger (an inch all around) than pie pan.
2) Form into pie pan.
3) Add filling.
4) Roll out other dough piece slightly larger than pie.
5) Fit over the top pinching and forming a bead/ridge all around with the bottom dough.
6) Cut little slits in the top for steam to escape.
7) Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown: ~30 minutes
8) Let cool before serving: ~10 minutes
1) Let filling cool before adding to pie and sealing with pastry dough.
2) Cover with plastic wrap.
4) Remove pie from freezer.
5) Brush with egg wash.
6) Bake in 375 degree oven until browned: ~30-45 minutes.