Another ‘BEER-N-BBQ by Larry’ food pairing, but this time the beer is IN the food; not served alongside it. Of course, you can still drink some homebrew with it.
- 1 chuck roast, 2.5-3 lb
- 1/8-1/4 cup flour
- a dozen or so small potatoes, red & yellow mixed
- 4-5 medium/large carrots, sliced into 1/4-1/2 inches pieces
- 3 celery stalks, sliced in 1/8-1/4 inch wide pieces
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (used half red, half white)
- 24 oz oatmeal stout, homebrewed (see recipe on my YouTube channel)
- ~3 oz tomato paste Salt Pepper Fresh thyme sprigs, several Olive oil
- Cut chuck roast into ~1.5 inch chunks.
- Put meat chunks into a bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and flour.
- Mix it together until meat is well coated.
- Heat a dutch oven over high heat.
- Add some olive oil.
- Brown the meat in batches and remove.
- Deglaze dutch oven with some of the beer.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery. Brown them.
- Add browned meat and thyme.
- Add potatoes. Cut larger ones in half if desired.
- Add 16 oz or more of the stout.
- Add tomato paste.
- Braise in 300 deg F oven for 1-1.5 hours.
- Check on the liquid level and add more beer if necessary/desired.
- Finish cooking for another 2-2.5 hours or until food is tender.