Is it possible to improve upon the traditional Chicago breaded steak sammich (sandwich)? Absolutely, it is!
With a marinara made from San Marzano tomatoes, fresh garden herbs, and a special ingredient (see below), I made a better version of the original! Recipe below. #ChicagoBreadedSteakSandwich #KingofFlavor #ElYucateco
- 28 oz San Marzano tomatoes, whole peeled
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp El Yucateco Red Chile Habanero Hot Sauce (https://www.shopelyucateco.com)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- olive oil for sauteeing
- Cook onion in some olive oil over medium heat for ~10 minutes.
- Add garlic for ~30 seconds.
- Add everything else except fresh basil.
- Crush up tomatoes while cooking.
- Simmer and reduce for 20+ minutes or until sufficiently reduced.
- Add fresh basil and cook a few more minutes.
- If a more homogeneous consistency is desired, run an immersion blender through it.
The Sandwich Ingredients
- ~2 cups frying oil, canola or vegetable
- 6 sandwich steaks (or thin cut round steaks) pounded very thin (1/8” thick or less), and mechanically tenderized
- ~1.5 cups flour
- 3-4 eggs
- 2+ cups Marconi Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to season
- ~3 cups marinara
- 6 Turano French rolls, Gonnella Italian/French rolls, or other brand of high gluten rolls
- ~2 cups shredded scamorza, fontina, or mozzarella cheese
- Hot or mild giardiniera, optional
The Sandwich Directions
- Heat oven or indirect grill to 350-400 F.
- Warm marinara in a sauce pan.
- Cut steaks into sizes that will fit the rolls.
- Heat frying oil in a skillet to 350-375 deg F.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper, then lightly coat in flour.
- Dip steaks in egg wash, shaking off the excess.
- Press steaks into breadcrumbs on both sides.
- Fry steaks 1-2 at a time in the oil for about 1-2 minutes per side, or until deep golden brown.
- Add a layer of cheese to the rolls.
- Dip the steaks one at a time into the marinara.
- Add to the rolls, folding them if necessary.
- Add cheese and giardiniera into the fold of the steaks.
- Wrap each sandwich in foil.
- Place wrapped sandwiches in the oven.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes.